Friday, April 1, 2011

Life

Well, now that my April Fool's day silliness is done on facebook, I suppose I should write a real blog post explaining myself. :)

Six or seven months ago, Wil and I stumbled across this article. We realized after reading and discussing it that we had lost sight of our dream for our family and had gotten stuck in the "right now." Those of you who know us well and have interacted with our family during Aurora's first two years can understand how this could have happened. We feel like we've been through hell and back (maybe) with Aurora. We love our precious girl and wouldn't change a thing about her, but she's not been an easy child to raise to this point. Thankfully, she seems to be getting easier (most of the time) as she gets older.

So, we were faced with a difficult decision. We felt the right thing for our family was a sibling for Aurora. But we really, really didn't want to go through another pregnancy. After exploring foster care and adoption, we came to the conclusion that there were simply no other options for us at this point. Were we sure enough that another child was the right thing to try to survive a pregnancy? We decided yes, with dread and a bit of excitement...but mostly dread.

So bear in mind, that is where we are coming from as we announce our second pregnancy.

Thus far, at 15 weeks in, it's been about as bad as, maybe slightly worse than, we expected. My sickness started to come and go before I even got a positive pregnancy test (at 3.5 weeks pregnant) and settled in to stay at 8 weeks. I haven't fixed a dinner since that point because the mere thought of food makes me nauseated. If I try to do much prep on it then I can't eat it. I haven't left the house by myself for at least 2 months and I would end up feeling so bad when I left that I gave up trying to go anywhere. From about 9 weeks through 13 weeks, I left the house a total of 2 times. Thankfully, the severe blood sugar crashes (hypoglycemia style) have gotten under control in the past two weeks and I'm actually able to leave the house without having one.

The morning sickness has begun to lift for a day or two and then come back--so it's nice to have a break every once in a while. The "I'm going to die of starvation if I don't eat right this moment but every food makes me want to vomit" feeling is slightly less intense. I've lived on peanut butter and honey sandwiches and pizza for the past two months. I still can't eat much meat and dairy in more than a few ounce quantities upsets my stomach. And the bane of my existence: water, WATER, makes me sick unless I lay down to drink it and stay laying down. Thankfully, I am not actually throwing up much--that is one thing I am very thankful for. I don't have to fight the dehydration or feel bad about wasted food.

Wil has taken on almost everything in the house. He plans and makes dinner, he get the table ready, he washes up Aurora and gets her ready for bed, he helps her clean up her toys, he vacuums, he mops, he does the dishes every night, and he works all day.

Me? I manage to get up and make Aurora and myself a microwave breakfast. Then I lay around somewhere and attempt to keep Aurora from jiggling me too much. Somehow we survive the morning and I microwave us some lunch (leftovers for Aurora if we're lucky, a peanut butter sandwich for me). Naptime is a lovely time and doesn't last long enough. Then we try to survive the last 2 hours or so until Wil gets home. Oh, and I try to do a load of laundry at least once a week. Heh. Our laundry is in a sad state. Poor Aurora misses her mommy and Wil has made similar comments. On the weekends, I collapse in bed and rest as much as I can, until Aurora's wailing for "mommy" draws me out. Poor thing. I manage to make it to church about every other Sunday, but we're hoping that I'll be up for more as we approach the half-way point of the pregnancy.

So, if you ask us if we're excited, we'll probably say something like "yes, but only about the baby after all of this!" THAT is why I have not been updating the blog much. I simply don't have the energy to keep up with it like I was doing before. It takes a lot of creativity and energy to write fun, cute blog posts. I simply don't have it in my right now. I have been trying to keep up a bit with our two tumblr microblogs: Adventures of Wil, Regina & Aurora and Snapshots of 2011. But even those simple blogs get significantly behind.

At this point, if you want to keep up with us, either facebook message me or send us an email (wilnregina@gmail.com). I am trying to keep up with personal correspondence. Once I start feeling better and can take back over some of my formerly regular duties around the house, then I'll try to blog again.

~Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment