Thursday, December 23, 2010

Christmas and Jesus

A couple nights ago, I finished sewing Aurora's stocking.  As soon as I finished, Wil and I hung up all three of our stockings. The next morning Aurora noticed them and I explained to her that there was one for Daddy, one for Mommy, and one for Aurora.  Then we started talking about the other Christmas decorations around the house.

I explained to her that the decorations are part of the way that we celebrate a very special event in history: when Jesus came as a baby to earth.  She responded with something like "ejus!" and ran over to the shelf holding all her books.  She pulled her baby Bible board book off the shelf, brought it to me, and opened it.  So we read the little poem about how Jesus was born in Bethlehem and talked about how that was just the beginning of Jesus' story.  I told her how he did wonderful things while He was on earth and He taught us how we should live, then He died to pay for our sins so that we don't have to.  How much she understood I have no clue, I was shocked enough that she even remembered reading about Jesus in her little Bible storybook!

As Wil said last night, Aurora has a memory like an elephant's.  She remembers far more than we give her credit for and likely understands far more than we realize.  If only the child could speak something other than gibberish....

~Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment