Friday, August 27, 2010

Rainbow Cupcakes!

Since these cupcakes have created some interest on facebook, I thought I would share my own pictures of their creation. I had seen this idea in other places as full rainbow cakes, but I got the idea for rainbow cupcakes from here.

My batter, after mixing it per the instructions on the box (a white cake mix) and adding food coloring to create the colors I wanted. I used a kitchen scale to try to get the batter amounts to be equal, but I didn't do a good enough job. Otherwise, the purple color was the most difficult to create, too much blue and you'd get a super ugly deep blue.


Just a little dollop of each color in each cup. I think it was 1-2 tablespoons, not even a full spoonful when using a regular table spoon. Too much and you'll run out of cup.

See? The purple doesn't even cover the whole bottom of the cup...


Just drop the blue in on top of the purple, don't try to smooth it out or the colors will mix.


Keep going with the green...


Yellow...


Orange...


And "red"--also known as pink...


The cake box said I would get 24-30 cupcakes if I filled the cups half full. I ended up having the cups 3/4 + full and they turned out perfectly. Bake as directed on the box....


Mmmm!


So pretty! And yummy too! :)


So there you go, that's how I did it!
~Regina

No comments:

Post a Comment